Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:30
Sat-Sun Closed
+356 21244895
Phone
55/1 Giuseppe Calì Street XBX1425 Ta' Xbiex Malta
https://www.micc.org.mt/media/com_jbusinessdirectory/pictures/companies/82/p-cutajar-co-ltd_1655799221.jpeg

P. Cutajar & Co. Ltd

Triq taż-Żwejt, Capital Business Centre, SGN 3000 San Ġwann, Malta

Business Details

Today, the company is considered to be one of Malta’s leading importers and distributors of fast moving consumer goods. Our principal activities include the sale and marketing of world leading brands of Wines & Spirits, Coffee, Food and Confectionery

Paul Cutajar started a trading business operating from his residence at 20 Strada Reale in Valletta in 1861. He initially imported wheat and cereals and was also active in the coal trade, even buying a small steamer “Nave Elena” for this purpose. Business prospered and in 1865, he changed the name of the firm to P.CUTAJAR & CO.

The firm expanded rapidly, and several important distributorship agreements were concluded. Two of these MARTINI & ROSSI (1880) and BENEDICTINE (1886) exist to this day.

Paul Cutajar died in 1897 leaving the business to his nephew, Arthur Zammit Cutajar. As Arthur was too young at the time of Paul Cutajar’s death, his father Francesco Zammit administered the business until 1907.

In 1905, P.Cutajar & Co was appointed the exclusive distributor for DEWAR’S White Label Scotch Whisky. The company rented new offices at 12 St.Paul Street, Valletta in 1908.

In the early part of the 20th century, the company’s main focus was in the ship agency business. In fact, in 1913, the company was the largest steamship agent in Malta, according to the historical book “Malta & Gibraltar".

In between the two world wars, the company concluded agreements with EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY (1937) as the Kodak distributor.

Arthur Zammit Cutajar passed away in 1958. His sons Alfred, Francis and George succeeded to the business. They became the first directors when the firm became a limited liability company in 1958.

P. Cutajar & Co. Ltd has now moved away from the ship agency business. It is focused primarily on the importation and distribution of fast moving consumer goods. Many additions were made to the company’s portfolio over the years. Particularly noteworthy among them are FERRERO chocolates (1967) and LAVAZZA coffee (1987). In more recent years, the company acquired the distribution rights for the MARTINI BACARDI GROUP, JP CHENET Wines, HIGHLAND SPRING Mineral Water, PASQUA and BERSANO Wines and HAAGEN-DAZS Ice Creams.

The company is also involved in the retail trade operating two SOLARIS sunglasses shops in Valletta and Sliema as well as a COCCINELLE handbag store in Sliema and a HAAGEN-DAZS PARLOUR in Valletta.

By the early nineteen eighties, the company had outgrown its premises in Valletta which had served the company for more than 75 years and moved to custom-built premises in Mriehel in 1986. P.Cutajar has since moved to another location in San Gwann.

The present management team of the P.Cutajar Group is composed of seven

Type:
Retailer
Establishment year:
1865
Keywords:

Map Location

company map
Triq taż-Żwejt, Capital Business Centre, SGN 3000 San Ġwann, Malta

Social Networks

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
© Copyright 2022 MALTESE ITALIAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. All Rights Reserved.